Thursday, January 16, 2014

Crime in Literature


Was looking through some reading lists the other day, and was reminded of one of my all-time favorite college courses – Crime in Literature. English was one of my concentrations in college, and this was an elective. We read some awesome books that stick with me to this day (uh, yeah, that was a while back).
I can’t remember the whole list, but here are some:
The Godfather
Crime and Punishment
All The Kings Men
Red Harvest
The Onion Field

I wish I had the full list and the syllabus for the class. And I’d love to know how the list has changed in the past twenty-some years. Couldn’t find that same class in the university course book, though.
What would you put on such a list? Can you think of crime novels (not mysteries) that made a lasting impression? I know I’ve read Murder on The Orient Express, but I can’t recall if it was for this class. Possibly. It’s another good one.
The two of these that stand out the most for me are The Godfather and Crime and Punishment. Oh, my. There’s something about reading The Godfather that makes it even more horrific than the movie. I thought I would never get that scene with the man and the head of his dead horse out of my mind.
And I can remember silently screaming at Raskolnikov in Crime and Punishment not to do it, and later being fascinated by the psychology at play in his guilt and ultimate incrimination of himself.
Some of these are still read in colleges and high schools. The Godfather is probably more well known as a movie. All are worth reading and discussing. If I were choosing today, I'd add The Shawshank Redemption.
Would love to hear your thoughts!

No comments:

Post a Comment