Monday, December 16, 2013

It's Cookie Time


I’m not a cook, but I do like cookies. Often people mistake me for a cook because I also like to make cookies. The sad fact is, it’s the one and only culinary talent I possess.
At holidays, especially Christmas, I make anywhere from eight to twelve dozen sugar cookies – the kind you chill, then roll out and cut and bake, then frost and decorate. It’s kind of a long process, three days, minimum, with many frosting sessions.
The baked cookies can be frozen, but once they’ve been frosted, freezing isn’t an option. That means I have to carefully schedule when I frost the cookies for each person or event I’m taking them to. I actually write this down, which is probably one of the reasons people can’t believe that when it comes to writing I’m a “pantser” rather than a “plotter.” (meaning I don’t outline and sketch out the entire story before writing it)
Baking holiday cookies is actually a little creative outlet for me, too. Each one (well, some, anyway) is a tiny piece of edible art. I’ve been told they’re too pretty to eat. But then, I haven’t seen too many people having trouble eating them!
Happy holidays, everyone! Wishing you fun times with family and friends, good books –and, of course, cookies!

No comments:

Post a Comment