Tuesday, December 31, 2013

A Year of Big Events and New Novels!


So, 2013 comes to a close. What a year it’s been for me. It started off with a bang – I became a published author!
Last January, I published my first novel, Unexpected Legacy. How fun, after months of writing, editing, agonizing over cover options and formatting the thing, to finally hold the finished product in my hands!
The novel didn’t skyrocket to the top of the NY Times Bestseller list, but it made it through a few rounds of the Amazon Breakthrough Novel Award competition. It got some great reviews, and got some positive feedback from both adults and teens, broadening its audience base. All good things.
In March, I published book number two, a clean contemporary romance titled Meetings of Chance.
Then a couple of big events happened that had nothing to do with writing. My husband and I celebrated our thirtieth wedding anniversary (why, yes, I was a child bride!), and we got to see our daughter graduate with honors from Cornell University. That was a very proud mama moment!
I watched a lot of tennis, and saw my son win second place in the state doubles championship. More parental pride.
Then I switched gears a bit, and launched a new novel in a new genre. The Storm Within was my third novel published in 2013. It’s women’s fiction, which meant I had to reach out and connect with a different kind of reader.
Which brings me to Marketing – the biggest challenge of 2013, and I expect that will continue into the new year. I’ve met a lot of other authors and readers along the way, and that has been much fun. I’ve gained friends and fans and followers, and learned a lot.

So what’s on the agenda for 2014? More of the same! More marketing, of course, and more writing. Hoping to publish at least two new books, the second in the Women of Whitfield series, and at least one contemporary romance.
My son will graduate from high school and start college. My daughter will launch her career and perhaps a PhD program. I’ve no doubt it will be another busy year.
As I ponder 2014, I’m thinking about all the unfinished manuscripts I have, and the stories I want to write.
I’ve said before that writing is making me a hermit, and it’s true. Sure, I see friends, go to lunch, etc. But, as others are planning their New Year’s Eve parties, dinners and festivities, I’m wondering if I can ring in the new year by finishing a book. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment