Monday, September 8, 2014

Red Is Not My Color


I am not a public speaker. I don’t enjoy talking in front of people. I have been known, particularly in a business setting, to turn red when asked a question. My face will burn, my mind will go blank, and I’ll forget what I want to say. The fact that I do this is, in itself, embarrassing.

Lately I’ve attended a slew of meetings about writing, some have been presentations in front of readers, others have been discussions with other authors – mostly with people I don’t know. And I’ve noticed something. I’ve been able to talk without going all hot and red. I have been able to discuss a topic, all eyes staring at me, and remain perfectly at ease! I started thinking about it after I attended a new writer’s group meeting the other day. I spoke my mind. I gave opinions. I shared ideas and information. Not once did I feel that ridiculous face-burning.

So I’m wondering why. I suppose it could be that I’m older and more experienced. Or, I’m older and not as concerned about what others think. Maybe I’m older and have more confidence. Could be I’m more comfortable with my topic – or I guess it could be that I’m just older! :-)

I have no idea whether it could be only a matter of age and I’ve finally outgrown it, or whether it’s tied to psychological factors. I’m choosing to say that it’s because I’m comfortable with my topic. Either way, I’m happy to report that I can manage to speak with others or to others without the embarrassing and obvious phenomenon of turning bright red. It’s not my color!

No comments:

Post a Comment