Friday, August 22, 2014

It’s not unique, but it’s a very big deal!


Well, I knew it was coming. Today’s the last day. The last day before my little guy goes off to college. He’ll spread his wings, and I’ll have an empty nest.

Eventually, it happens to everyone who has kids. So, yeah, that’s a lot of people. It’s not a unique situation. But, boy, when it happens to you, it becomes a very big deal!

Of course, it’s not a surprise. We’ve known for some time this was coming. But I’m doing the last load of laundry. I’m piling bags and boxes in the hallway and labeling them. I’m checking things off the list. It’s getting close. It’s becoming real. I’ve spent the last eighteen years of my life raising this kid, and he’s going to walk out the door.

So I know you’ll understand if I space off or lose my train of thought. If you ask me what’s up, and I tear up, you’ll understand. If you find me crying in public places, well, you’ll understand that I had a random thought or I saw something that reminded me of the kid. Just nod, or hand me a tissue.

The truth is, I’m not entirely sad. I’m going to miss him terribly. But I’m also excited for the future. I’m looking forward to watching him discover his path. The big picture makes me smile. It’s the little things that choke me up – like those goodnight hugs. Yeah, I’m going to miss those. A lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment