Sunday, February 16, 2014

It's all the rage . . . food fads

There’s always a new fashion fad going on out in the world – usually one or two that confound me. I’ve noticed lately, that there are also food fads.
My family eats out a lot. I may have mentioned a time or several, that I’m not much of a cook. At my house, everyone asks where are we going for dinner, not what are we having. I’m OK with that. Restaurants offer something for everyone. And they clean up the mess!
A couple of years ago, lots of places all of a sudden added roasted beets and sweet potato fries to their menus. I have to say, I enjoy them both.

These days, I’m seeing some new items crop up on menus that I used to know by heart. The new things in good-for-you veggies? Brussels sprouts and kale. Oh, and a grain I’d never even heard of before – quinoa.

I’m guessing that I’m not the only one who was disgusted by brussels sprouts as a kid. Gag me! But I’ve gone out on a limb a couple of times, and tried them. The key, I’ve found, is how they’re prepared. These are not your mom’s Brussels sprouts. Baked, fried, sauteed and seasoned. These odd cabbage-looking balls are quite tasty. If you haven’t yet, give them another try.

Kale. Hmmm. Not a fan yet. I’ve had it fried to where it basically disintegrates in your mouth, and I’ve eaten it raw in salads. It’s thicker than lettuce, and tougher. Hidden in a blend of other greens, it’s not bad. Have not acquired the taste. But maybe it’ll grow on me.
Quinoa, I’ve had only cooked in other items, and really, I can’t even distinguish a taste for it. Apparently, it’s sweeping the nation, though. Even made Time Magazine a couple of weeks ago.

So, next time you eat out at a favorite tried-and-true restaurant, have another look at the menu, you might find something you’ve never seen before –– and never tasted quite the same before.

No comments:

Post a Comment