Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Been there. Done that.

Some days when it seems like forever since I’ve heard from an agent, and my queries are hanging out in cyber space, I catch myself wishing I’d started this writing endeavor a little earlier. It’s such a long process.


But then I wonder what I would’ve written about? Newspaper reporting and suburban politics, twenty years in Corporate America, having kids, juggling career and family, losing loved ones, friends that come and go at different stages of life . . . These are life experiences that form the building blocks of believable situations and characters – the meat of story-telling.


I’ve been more places, seen more things, done more things than younger writers. Maybe younger writers put in more research hours. Maybe they don’t “write what they know.” Not sure. But today, at least, I’m feeling like more might be better. More been there/done that.

No comments:

Post a Comment