Thursday, October 24, 2013

No farting, please . . . I can smell again!


So this morning I’m brushing my teeth, and I kept thinking I was getting a funky taste. Puzzled, I checked the toothpaste tube and the toothbrush trying to figure out what strange substance I was ingesting. Took me a minute to realize it wasn’t a taste at all – it was a scent. And I smelled it!!

This may seem a strange topic, but it’s been months since I’ve smelled anything! You see, I’m plagued with sinus issues. I’ve had surgery, but this fall has been rough. For a couple of weeks I couldn’t breathe, let alone smell. I wasn’t particularly concerned about the smell part. But I do like to sleep, and it’s hard to get sleep when you can’t breathe.
Thank you, Prednisone.

After a few days of drug therapy, the polyps have shrunk, and I’ve regained a little sense of smell. But I have to say, in some respects I did not mind not smelling. When my sister and I were driving back from Colorado a couple of months ago and there was a dead skunk on the side of the road, she nearly gagged, while I was completely oblivious. And when my son and I had to park behind a restaurant and then walk past the dumpsters? He made fake choking sounds and complained as if the stench was going to be the end of him. I was unfazed.

Yes, I missed being able to smell coffee and tea and other good stuff. I was shopping with a friend last week, and she kept holding out jars of tea and candles for me to smell. Nope. Nada. Of course, I’m old enough to know what things smell like. I know I like the scent of vanilla and grapefruit, so I can still buy a candle or body lotion and know what I’m getting.

Unfortunately, there are pros and cons. Yes, I can now smell my morning tea and my lotion, but I can also smell . . . the trash, pizza left in a box overnight, son’s sweaty socks, and yes, farts. Oh, the farts. Don’t even get me started . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment