Monday, September 2, 2013

So Sad about Summer


Labor Day weekend. It’s generally accepted as the end of summer, even though the calendar officially says Sept. 21st.
The pools close, the boats are put away, cabins are closed, kids go back to school, and I get a little depressed. Because I know what’s coming. Some people look forward to the cool breezes and crisp air of autumn. Some of that is okay. It’s nice that the humidity subsides. But the real problem is that I know what’s coming after that. Fall is usually a short blip around here. And then Old Man Winter settles in for a long and tedious visit.

Winters can – and often do – last six months around here. Ugh.
I think I’ll say that again. Ugh. It gets cold and dark. It snows. We get ice storms. Did I mention the cold? I guess for me, winter just makes things more difficult: Keeping track of coats and scarves and gloves. Cleaning up after snow, the mud, the salt, the drips. It’s harder to see at night. Driving is more dangerous. People withdraw into their houses.

For six long months I wait for spring, for warmer temperatures and longer days – when a day really lasts all day, not just until 5 p.m.  People seem happier in the summer. Blue skies and sunny days have a way of cheering things up. The neighbors are out, patios are used, flowers color the landscape. There’s a sense of having more time. Summers don’t seem to slow down for us. There’s too much to do. But it’s easier to do those things. So much more pleasant to be able to step outside without coats and all the winter accessories. I so much prefer to be greeted by warm sunshine than arctic wind. As winter looms before me, I just hope I’ve soaked up enough sunshine to get me through the days ahead.
Sigh. It’s Labor Day weekend. Bye-bye, summer. You’ll be missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment